How to make Shakshuka
Tamar the Shames JCC Shinshinit
We miss our Shinshinim Tamar who used to work with our ECC students (Shinshinims are Israeli gap-year students who do a year of service to the Jewish community in America). She was sent home at the beginning of March when the CODVID-19 situation got worse. We were so happy to hear from her and excited that she sent us the recipe to one of our favorite dishes—! And just in time for Passover too…it’s Kosher-for-Passover.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- Half an onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Olive oil
- Eggs (according to the number of diners)
- Optional – basil, paprika
- Chop the onion to cubes.
- Put some olive oil in the pan and wait for it to warm up.
- Add the onion cubes to the pan and stir until golden.
- Chop the garlic clove and add it to the onion. Mix.
- Cut the tomatoes to cubes and add it to the onion and garlic. Stir.
- Add salt, pepper and paprika and mix.
- Wait and mix until the tomatoes turn into a paste.
- Make room for the eggs using a spoon.
- Crack the eggs in the holes you made.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.