Egg Shell Indoor Garden
From Camp Twelve Trails
Start by gathering your supplies:
- A handful of eggshells ( use the halves from breakfast! quick rinse of the inside)
- Egg carton
- Pre-moistened seed starting mix
- Seeds for herbs or small flowers
Planting seeds in eggshells
- Layout the eggshells
- Place an empty shell in each slot of the egg carton.
- Plant the seeds
- Using a teaspoon, fill each empty eggshell with the seed starting mix almost to the top, you’ll want to save a little space for your seedling. After adding the soil, use your finger to create a small hole in the dirt to make room for the seeds. Drop two seeds into each hole and gently cover them with a sprinkling of dirt.
Caring for seedlings
The best location for your egg carton garden is on a windowsill that gets plenty of sunlight. The room should also be relatively warm compared to the rest of your house.
Water the seedlings! It is crucial to keep the soil moist without overwatering your seedlings. To prevent overwatering, we recommend using a spray bottle to gently mist each eggshell pot. Keep in mind the shells don’t have drainage holes. Just a few sprays in each pot every two or three days will work great!