Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, the swim instructor will lead group, private, and semi-private swim lessons to all ages and ability levels. Creates a fun, safe, and inviting learning environment to ensure a positive member experience in accordance with the JCC Aquatic Policy and JCC Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines. Builds strong relationships with participants and continually recommends classes based on skill levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Arrives to all shifts 15 minutes prior to start of shift, in uniform, and prepared.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Instructs classes in accordance with JCC policies, including covering all class components and using proper teaching technique.
- Responsible for attending all scheduled classes within a session; when an absence is unavoidable, secure a substitute and provides lesson plans for that substitute.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the JCC such as class attendance and performance skills.
- Maintains constant watch on all class participants and ensures the highest level of safety during the class.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
- Ensures the health and safety of all members and participants by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
- Teaches with enthusiasm and creativity
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with JCC policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains all required certifications for position while employed.
- Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
- Keep pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Aquatics Director.
- Promote Aquatic Programs.
- Attends and participates in all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
ARC (or equivalent) First Aid
ARC (or equivalent) WSI
Swim Instructor I – 0-1 year of teaching experience in aquatics working with children or adults in group settings.
Swim Instructor II – 1-3 years of teaching experience in aquatics working with children or adults in group settings.
Swim Instructor III– 4+ years of teaching experience in aquatics working with children or adults in group settings.
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, climb, and/or balance.
- Frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Frequently exposed to wet and humid conditions.
- Frequently exposed to moderate to high noise levels.
- Frequently exposed to warm environments.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes, airborne, or bloodborne pathogens.