Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, the swim instructor will lead group, private, and semi-private swim lessons to all ages and ability levels. Creates a fun, safe, and inviting learning environment to ensure a positive member experience in accordance with the JCC Aquatic Policy and JCC Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines. Builds strong relationships with participants and continually recommends classes based on skill levels.
· Arrives to all shifts 15 minutes prior to start of shift, in uniform, and prepared.
· Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
· Instructs classes in accordance with JCC policies, including covering all class components and using proper teaching technique.
· Responsible for attending all scheduled classes within a session; when an absence is unavoidable, secure a substitute and provides lesson plans for that substitute.
· Maintains accurate records as required by the JCC such as class attendance and performance skills.
· Maintains constant watch on all class participants and ensures the highest level of safety during the class.
· Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
· Ensures the health and safety of all members and participants by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
· Teaches with enthusiasm and creativity.
· Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with JCC policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
· Maintains all required certifications for position while employed.
· Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
· Keep pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
· Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Aquatics Director.
· Promote Aquatic Programs.
· Attends and participates in all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
· Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
· ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
· ARC (or equivalent) First Aid
· ARC (or equivalent) WSI
Swim Instructor I- 0-1 year of teaching experience in aquatics working with children or adults in group settings.
Swim Instructor II- 1-3 years of teaching experience in aquatics working with children or adults in group settings.
Swim Instructor III- 4+ years of teaching experience in aquatics working with children or adults in group settings.
Submit a resume and cover letter (optional).