Special Needs Counselor: Almost Home – Plus
Almost Home at the Shames JCC on the Hudson is a warm, safe, stimulating, and professionally supervised after-school enrichment program for children in kindergarten through 6th grade. Free transportation to the JCC is provided by the Tarrytown and Irvington school districts. The program offers age-appropriate activities in an educational, recreational and social setting.
As part of our Almost Home after-school program, Almost Home Plus is our after-school program for children who need support due to cognitive, emotional, and/or behavioral differences requiring more individualized attention to ensure a safe, fun, and successful experience.
- Attend all program dates, trainings, and meetings
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate understanding for different abilities
- Support and engage participants in all activities
- Ensure participants’ safety
- 1 to 2+ years of experience working with grade school children
- High school degree (or equivalent), bachelor degree preferred in subject area relating to social services, education, or developmental disabilities
- Preferred experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities
- Ability to work during program days/hours:
Days: Mondays through Fridays, excluding school holidays and JCC closings
Hours: From 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- A minimum commitment of two (regularly scheduled) days per week is required; a commitment of five days per week is preferred
- Ability to attend scheduled training and staff meetings:
- Pre-program training
- Regular staff meetings approximately one Sunday per month
- Experience working with children with special needs is a plus; please note on your application
- Experience working with children during recreational swim is a plus; please note on your application
- Upon hiring, this job requires fingerprinting, background check and Tuberculosis test.
Send resumes to [email protected].