Fitness: PERSONAL TRAINER
Summary: In accordance with the Fitness Department policies included below, all Fitness Floor Staff, including Group EX and Personal Trainers, support a positive environment for members, visitors and colleagues. Conducting themselves in a consistently professional and courteous manner, Staff are responsible for providing outstanding customer service, ensuring the safety and well-being of all members and guests, also ensuring a warm and friendly community experience throughout the Fitness Center, GX Department, and the entire JCC.
Essential functions include but are not limited to the following that are listed below. While we strive to maintain clarity around job expectations, work activities may be subject to change at any time, in accordance with organizational needs.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Personal training
· Conduct fitness assessments
· Arrive 10 minutes prior to scheduled time
· Knowledge of Fitness equipment and exercises
· Provide clients with detailed individualized workout program based on their goals and injuries
· Act in a professional manner by upholding Shames JCC policy i.e. when involved with conflict management with patrons and staff
· Attend mandatory meetings and trainings
· Provide customer service by assisting clients via spotting, answering questions on exercise technique, demonstrations on fitness equipment
· Actively promoting current programs being offered at Shames JCC
· Performance of walk-throughs of the Fitness Center to ensure cleanliness and machine maintenance. Prompt notification of the Fitness Manager of any equipment-related issues
· Assuring that the first aid kit is fully stocked, and notifying the appropriate party when supplies are low
· Arranging for coverage in case absence is required, in accordance with local law. Coverage arrangements should be emailed in advance to both the substitute and the supervisor, and may be subject to supervisory and or management approval
· Adherence to all Fitness Department policies is required
· Client documentation
· Payroll Accuracy
Adherence to the Policies
All must maintain a professional appearance within the guidelines for your department’s dress code. For fitness staff, this is inclusive of name tags, blue shirts for floor shifts, JCC PT shirts for training, black or dark/charcoal grey base shirts, and black pants or other appropriate athletic wear for the lower half of the body.
· Discussion of confidential or proprietary information with colleagues, members or the general public is strictly prohibited. Never engage members or the public in discussion of the JCC’s business.
· Solicitation is strictly prohibited, including but not limited to solicitation of members and/or guests.
· Subcontracting of work is strictly prohibited, and class substitutions may be subject to management approval.
· In case of facility issues, all staff interacting with members or the general public are required to adhere to communications guidelines established by the JCC.
· Theft, acceptance of theft, use of foul language, disruptive behavior, unlawful harassment of any kind, including but not limited to sexual harassment, are all strictly prohibited.
· Vacation requests should be communicated to your supervisor at least 2 weeks in advance.
· Use of cellphones, as well as the consumption of food or open beverages is strictly prohibited within the training facilities, or on the fitness floor.
· Personal trainers are prohibited from training in excess of two consecutive hours, unless prior approval has been granted from management.
· Excessive and/or untimely cancellations and no shows, as well as excessive shift or class coverages may be addressed as performance issues, which are subject to disciplinary measures.
· Monetary transactions should take place only at the Welcome Desk.
· Bags, clothing or other personal belongings should be securely put away, and not visible at the Welcome Desk.
· Failure to comply with the policies above may result in discipline up to and including termination
Work Environment: This job may operate throughout all fitness facilities, as well as in a professional office environment, to be determined in accordance with the agency’s business needs.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their work.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to articulate fingers, and reach with hands and arms. Bending, crouching, and the regular lifting of up to 20 lbs., and the occasional lifting of up to 50 or more lbs. may be required, in accordance with each role. Specific sensory abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, as well as a functional sense of smell, in order to facilitate the monitoring of shifting facility environments, for safety purposes.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: These are hourly and piece rate roles with varying schedules, with hours to be determined in concert with the supervisor, the Fitness and Operations Manager, and/or other management personnel. Some evening and weekend work may be required for most roles.