Fitness: Group EX Base
Essential functions include but are not limited to the following that are listed below. While we strive to maintain clarity around job expectations, work activities may be subject to change at any time, in accordance with organizational needs.
- Arriving 10-15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time is required, and will be paid in accordance with wage and hour laws
- Performance of professional fitness work, as determined in cooperation with the supervisor
- Assistance with the upkeep of the physical environment, including the performance of cleaning activities when necessary
Attendance at all mandatory meetings and trainings, as well as in-service trainings is required, and will be compensated in accordance with wage and hour laws
- Performance of walk-throughs of the Fitness Center to ensure all is clean and in working order, and prompt notification of the Fitness and Operations Manager of any equipment repair or related issues
- Maintenance and ensuring the accuracy of all required records, as instructed by the supervisor, including but not limited to orientations, assessments and sensitive member data, and ensuring proper and secure filing of such records
- Assuring that the first aid kit is fully stocked, and notifying the appropriate party for replenishment when supplies are low
- Arranging for coverage in case of absence is required, in accordance with local law. Coverage arrangements should be emailed in advance to both the substitute and the supervisor and may be subject to supervisory and/or management approval
- Adherence to all Fitness Department Policies is required (policies included in this document)
Group EX – Additional Functions
Group EX Instructors Must:
- Set up class space (mic & music cued) and be prepared to teach, prior to participant arrival
- Ensure class equipment setup and breakdown is within the class timeframe
- Ensure that all classes begin and end on time
- Meet and greet new and existing participants, and discuss class structure, as necessary
- Provide a safe class structure for all levels of participants
- At class end, discuss upcoming events at the JCC
- Input class coverage into GroupEX Pro
- Limit substitute coverage to 4 times per month (vacation exception, with 1 month of notice)
- Adhere to all Fitness Department Polices (policies included in this document)
- Adhere to all of the following procedures:
- Emergencies: Instructors should react calmly and obtain help as needed; alerting MOD, Fitness Staff, Aquatics Staff, and/or reception staff. If it is a minor emergency, ensure the injured party’s safety, and treat as needed. Ensure that the Group Fitness Manager or AGM of Fitness/Wellness on duty completes the incident report, and/or any other necessary documentation.
- General Safety: Instructors should alert the Group Fitness Manager of flooring issues before and/or after class, and report items in need of repair (tubing, dumbbells etc.). The appropriate music type, inclusive of speed & sound level, (e.g., 70-80 decibels, and no higher than 90 decibels) should always be utilized. The room should be scanned to ensure participants are dressed appropriately for each specific class.
- All accessories used in class must be stored in a safe and unobstructive location. At class end, instructor should remain in room and/or make self available to ensure that all items are properly put away, and to answer guest questions.
Adherence to the Policies that Follow is Required of All Fitness Staff
Fitness Department Policies
- All must maintain a professional appearance within the guidelines for your department’s dress code. For fitness staff, this is inclusive of name tags, blue shirts for floor shifts, JCC PT shirts for training, black or dark/charcoal grey base shirts, and black pants or other appropriate athletic wear for the lower half of the body.
- Discussion of confidential or proprietary information with colleagues, members or the general public is strictly prohibited. Never engage members or the public in discussion of the JCC’s business.
- Solicitation is strictly prohibited, including but not limited to solicitation of members and/or guests.
- Subcontracting of work is strictly prohibited, and class substitutions may be subject to management approval.
- In case of facility issues, all staff interacting with members or the general public are required to adhere to communications guidelines established by the JCC.
- Theft, acceptance of theft, use of foul language, disruptive behavior, unlawful harassment of any kind, including but not limited to sexual harassment, are all strictly prohibited.
- Vacation requests should be communicated to your supervisor at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Use of cellphones, as well as the consumption of food or open beverages is strictly prohibited within the training facilities, or on the fitness floor.
- Personal trainers are prohibited from training in excess of two consecutive hours, unless prior approval has been granted from management.
- Excessive and/or untimely cancellations and no shows, as well as excessive shift or class coverages may be addressed as performance issues, which are subject to disciplinary measures.
- Monetary transactions should take place only at the Welcome Desk.
- Bags, clothing or other personal belongings should be securely put away, and not visible at the Welcome Desk.
- Failure to comply with the policies above may result in discipline up to and including termination.
Supervisory Responsibility: not applicable, unless as directed by the supervisor/management.
Work Environment: This job may operate throughout all fitness facilities, as well as in a professional office environment, to be determined in accordance with the agency’s business needs.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their work.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to articulate fingers, and reach with hands and arms. Bending, crouching, and the regular lifting of up to 20 lbs., and the occasional lifting of up to 50 or more lbs. may be required, in accordance with each role. Specific sensory abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, as well as a functional sense of smell, in order to facilitate the monitoring of shifting facility environments, for safety purposes.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: These are hourly and piece rate roles with varying schedules, with hours to be determined in concert with the supervisor, the Fitness and Operations Manager, and/or other management personnel. Some evening and weekend work may be required for most roles.
Travel: Travel is not expected to be required.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of a high school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Current CPR, AED and First Aid certifications
- Personal trainers and Group EX instructors must maintain certification through nationally-recognized organizations, and provide specialty certifications, as needed
- A team player, with the ability and willingness to take management direction, and to interact with others in a friendly, engaging and professional manner
- A strong track record of consistently providing excellence in service, and quality of work
- Proficiency in using technology and/or office skills, as could be required on the job
- Experience working in high-performing, collaborative and constructive teams
- Personal attributes of integrity and professionalism, as well as a commitment to and passion for Fitness, and the JCC’s mission
The Shames JCC on the Hudson provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws
Apply for this position
Please upload your resume and cover letter. Thank you.