Jewish Engagement Specialist, Northern Westchester
Leveraging the platforms provided by the Shames JCC in Tarrytown and UJA-Federation, the JCC’s Jewish Engagement Specialist, Northern Westchester is responsible for cultivating the connectivity and engagement of Jews residing in zip codes north of I-287 both with each other, and with organized Jewish communal life.
The Jewish Engagement Specialist must have an entrepreneurial spirit and outstanding interpersonal skills. Through many “meet & greet” conversations that the Jewish Engagement Specialist will coordinate with organizational representatives (clergy, professional staff, lay leaders) and Jewish influencers and network-weavers in the region, s/he will increase understanding about the Northern Westchester community, including communal priorities, culture, motivators, concerns, etc. This needs assessment will inform the details of the Jewish Engagement Specialist’s subsequent work in creating organizational frameworks and designing programs.
With the goal of establishing the Shames JCC as a central convener of Jewish engagement in Northern Westchester, the Jewish Engagement Specialist must have the ability to analyze and develop effective models for Jewish organizations and Jewish people in Northern Westchester to mobilize and actualize their connection, communication, and collaboration.
Finally, the Jewish Engagement Specialist must plan, organize and carry out programs. Working with others, s/he must have the ability to engage with vendors, coordinate staffing, and manage operational logistics (e.g., Zoom access, parking, security, etc.). S/he must have strong oral and written communication skills in both individual and group settings. The Jewish Engagement Specialist should be innovative and demonstrate high emotional intelligence in working with the nuances of organizations and communities involved.
The Jewish Engagement Specialist will serve as a member of the JCC’s professional staff team and functions in alignment with the JCC’s overall program and agency operations in their entirety.
The Jewish Engagement Specialist will work 20 hours per week. Specific hours and location of work to be determined in consultation with his/her supervisor.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Identifies organizational representatives, and other relevant individuals, for information gathering
- Schedules and conducts “meet & greet” conversations
- Maintains high-quality records regarding same
- Analyzes input from interviews and makes recommendations on frameworks for connection, communication and collaboration; implements same
- Creates and leads focus groups, surveys, and individual conversations to identify programmatic needs
- Develops and designs programs, including those that create elements of Jewish life not currently existing in Northern Westchester; manage requisition of necessary programmatic supplies and equipment (if any)
- Organizes and supervises delivery of programs (including registration mechanisms, staffing, operational logistics, and budget for same)
- Coordinates with marketing/communication staff to develop and implement outreach and advertising
- Manages and maintains data regarding program operations and participation
- Initiates, develops, and maintains relationships with representatives of the Shames JCC, UJA-Federation, and identified organizations in Northern Westchester
- Responds promptly to inquiries
- Demonstrates high-emotional intelligence, with sensitivity to the nuances across organizations, communities and individuals
- Demonstrates capacity for problem-solving
- Manages up and shares pertinent information with supervisor(s) on a timely basis
- Meets commitments
- Perform such other duties and tasks as may be assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree required; preference for degree in a subject related to Jewish studies, communication and/or communal organizing
- 3 -5 years’ relevant experience
- Frequently required to utilize a computer for research, e-mail, and video-conferencing
- Occasionally required to travel within Westchester county for meetings and/or events
- Occasionally required to stand, sit, walk, climb, and/or balance.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally exposed to moderate to high noise levels (e.g., during an event)
- Mostly inside work; occasionally outdoors in connection with programs and/or events
- Office environment and other public locations as may be identified and agreed upon by the Jewish Engagement Specialist and those with whom s/he is meeting.
- Remote work as may be authorized by supervisor(s)