Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director & Head Swim Coach, the Assistant Swim Coach is responsible for providing instructional workouts that will prepare participants for their individual needs such as competition, fitness, etc. The Assistant Swim Coach is also responsible for promoting, organizing, and conducting swim practices in accordance with the JCC aquatic policy and JCC Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Arrives to all shifts 15 minutes prior to start of shift, in uniform, and prepared.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Effectively design and plan a workout curriculum for all swim levels under the direction of the head coach.
- Provide constant feedback to participants to facilitate improvements.
- Secure a qualified substitute coach when needed.
- Establish and maintain good communication with participants, parents, and supervisor.
- Attend all meetings, swim meets, and practice sessions.
- Teach all aspects of competitive swimming and provide swimmers the opportunity to master technique.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the JCC.
- Maintains constant watch on all class participants and ensures the highest level of safety during practice.
- Ensures the health and safety of all members and participants by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
- Teaches with enthusiasm and creativity
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with JCC policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains all required certifications for position while employed.
- Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
- Keep pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Aquatics Director and/or Head Coach.
- Promotes swim team and other aquatic programs.
- Attends and participates in all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- ARC (or equivalent) Lifeguarding with First Aid
- ARC (or equivalent) WSI preferred
- ARC (or equivalent) Safety Training for Swim Coaches
- ASCA Level 1 (or equivalent) Swim Coach
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, climb, and/or balance.
- Frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Frequently exposed to wet and humid conditions.
- Frequently exposed to moderate to high noise levels.
- Frequently exposed to warm environments.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes, airborne, or bloodborne pathogens.