Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, the lifeguard will provide a positive atmosphere, display outstanding customer service, and will professionally and courteously ensure the safety and enjoyment of all members, program participants, and guests in the pool area, deck, and surrounding areas based on the JCC Aquatic Safety Standards & Guidelines.
- Arrives to all shifts 15 minutes prior to start of shift, in uniform, and prepared.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and documents findings.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the JCC of pool usage, chemical levels, and pool closures.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool at all times; refrains from socializing while guarding.
- Remains alert and attentive at all times—Rescue Ready and remain on pool deck while on duty.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
- Ensures the health and safety of all members and participants by knowing, understanding, and consistently enforcing safety rules, policies, procedures, and regulations for the pool and aquatic area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with JCC policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains all required certifications for position while employed.
- Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
- Practices proper rescues and emergency procedures regularly.
- Keep pool area and equipment clean, neat, and organized.
- Clears all swimmers from the water during an electrical storm or adverse weather conditions.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Aquatics Director.
- Promote Aquatic Programs.
- Attends and participates in all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- ARC (or equivalent) CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- ARC (or equivalent) Lifeguard/ First Aid certification